Dentistry has made leaps and bounds in the last few years as new technologies have been introduced. One of these technologies is laser therapy in Grand Prairie. Laser dentistry offers patients a pain-free, comfortable, and efficient alternative to traditional dental treatments that require the use of painful dental instruments such as drills and scalpels.
At Northern Dental Centre, we often recommend laser dentistry over other methods of treatment because it requires little to no anesthetic, causes almost no bleeding, and promotes quick healing.
How Does Laser Dentistry Work?
Laser therapy near you can be used for a variety of dental procedures to provide patients with a healthy and stunning smile. A lot of patients panic when they hear they need to undergo a root canal treatment; however, laser dentistry eliminates this fear because it can provide an effective and pain-free alternative. Using lasers, our dentist in Grand Prairie can remove and clean your tooth roots without having to use drills or files.
Since lasers are able to create shockwaves through your tooth to ensure all areas of the canal are cleaned thoroughly and efficiently, they are very effective at eliminating infection and saving a tooth. The success of root canals depends on how well a tooth can be cleaned, and for this reason, lasers prove to be highly effective when providing treatment.
What Are the Advantages and Drawbacks of Laser Dentistry?
When you choose to get laser dentistry, you will enjoy many benefits, including:
- Less pain: since laser dentistry is minimally invasive and often does not require the use of an anesthetic, it does not cause much pain and is very tolerable.
- Reduced dental anxiety: since the discomfort and irritation of a dental drill are eliminated with laser dentistry; your anxiety will be reduced.
- Faster healing: since a laser both opens and cauterizes tissue as it works, the tissue immediately begins to heal during the treatment. This also reduces the risk of bleeding and scarring.
Like all dental procedures, laser dentistry also has some downsides, such as:
- Longer procedure: while lasers can be used for many different dental procedures, it typically takes longer than traditional methods.
- Not all procedures are possible with laser dentistry: lasers cannot be used on teeth with silver amalgam fillings, to remove faulty dental restorations, or to prepare teeth for dental bridges.
- More costly: typically, laser treatments cost more than traditional treatments because laser technology is more expensive for a dental office to have.
Interested in Learning More About Laser Dentistry?
Laser dentistry is a proven safe and effective dental technology that can be used for dental treatments such as gum disease treatment, root canal therapy, and teeth whitening. Lasers can also help treat sleep apnea, hypersensitivity in teeth, snoring, and more. If you are prepared to spend a little extra time and money to get this advanced and innovative treatment, then our team at Northern Dental Centre is happy to serve you. Please do not hesitate to contact us to book a consultation with our dentist near you today. We look forward to seeing your smile!